Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Happy IBCLC Day! | Western Mass Lactation Consultants

Of all the people who have seen my nipples, at least you knew what you were looking for. Happy IBCLC day!

March 5th is International Board Certified Lactation Consultants Day! Have you hugged your LC today?

I was (am) lucky to know a wonderful IBCLC when I was nursing my son. She patiently answered my late-night questions, quickly responded when my doctors were being ridiculous about medications and weaning, and even consulted on a video I took of myself pumping. While I did not have many major breastfeeding issues, having someone around to reassure me that I was doing great was simply priceless.

If you are pregnant and planning to breastfeed, put the name of a local Lactation Consultant in your phone NOW. The best way to solve a breastfeeding problem is to get help quickly. A bad latch and be fixed, tongue-tie can be diagnosed and treated, and you and your baby can get QUALIFIED advice from someone who cares whether or not you continue to breastfeed (why pediatricians are not better educated about breastfeeding is another post for another day).

To find a local Lactation Consultant, see the International Lactation Consultant Association's LC directory. Also check out a local La Leche League Meeting where you can find mother-to-mother support and answers to your questions.

Take today to tell your LC that you appreciate her!

No comments:

Post a Comment